- PhD in Demography from the University of Leuven.
- PhD in Social Sciences from the University of Brussels.
- Aggregate in Demography by Universidade Nova de Lisboa.
- Full Professor of Demography at Universidade Nova de Lisboa since 1980.
- Secretary of State for Higher Education of the V Portuguese Constitutional Government.
- Director of the Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities of Universidade Nova de Lisboa.
- Director of the Demographic Studies Office of the National Statistics Institute.
- Director of the Higher Institute of Statistics and Information Management.
- Vice-Rector of Universidade Nova de Lisboa.
Main published books
- The aging of the Portuguese population (Presença, 1976)
- Demography- the science of population (Editorial Presença, 5 eds, 2004)
- Growing up and aging – constraints and opportunities of demographic aging (Presença, 2009)
He is currently a researcher at SAER – “Sociedade de Avaliação e Risco” (Lisbon) and at CEPESE – Center for Population Studies, Economics and Society, University of Porto.